Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sometimes we can make a difference...

I emailed the supervisor of the Trinity County WIC office last week regarding them gifting women who won a breastfeeding promotion contest with a copy of What to Expect the First Year. I voiced my concerns about the book's poor breastfeeding information that could harm or end a new mom's nursing relationship with her child. The supervisor, Eileen Stocum, wrote me back. Her email below.

It was interesting to hear from you and that you read about us in Florida. The internet is amazing, isn't it? I forwarded your comments to the other members of the coalition and have heard back from three.At our previous meeting, we were already considering changing our"prize" to a baby sling. At our next meeting, we will be finalizing that decision. If we decide to go with a book, we will look at your suggestion.I don't think any of us felt you were being critical, just helpful.
Thanks,
Eileen

Sometimes something as simple as writing a letter really can make a difference. I'm glad I could play a (very) small part in them changing the prize and maybe, just maybe, help some mom in Trinity County, California to have a better breastfeeding relationship with her baby.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails