Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Art Star & The Sudanese Twins

I was looking for new DVDs to purchase recently and when I saw this cover, my heart stopped.





Yes that is a very white woman breastfeeding two very dark-skinned children. The documentary is called The Art Star and the Sudanese Twins and it's about artist Vanessa Beecroft and her attempt to adopt these twins from the Sudan. From what I can gather online, she was on a trip to the Sudan and ended up breastfeeding the twins after meeting them in an orphanage. Although the babies were in an orphanage, their parents were alive. This, apparently, didn't stop Ms. Beecroft from attempting to adopt them (and why should it, I mean, Angelina Jolie and Madonna did the same thing, right?)

Anyway, I think this documentary will be very interesting and I am curious to see how breastfeeding and race are handled in the film. I have it at home and will try to watch it this weekend and post my thoughts to the blog. Has anyone seen this documentary or heard of it or the artist? Please share your thoughts in the comments!


Never want to miss an update of the Blacktating Blog? Subscribe here.
Twitter me- I'm blacktating

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails